Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Couple Cabaret Photos


One of my mentors in Chicago always says "You should have one note after final dress."  Seeing as how in this case first dress was final dress, I had about seventy five notes after final dress.  Which ones do I do, the directors or mine, I think.  Director had no less than a tantrum during tech because he didn't get everything he wanted, from all departments.  Bear in mind the show boasts a production budget of give or take $4000.

Moving on, I've started Fiddler on the Roof.  The New Director is quite patient and encouraging.  He also looks to designers for ideas about their field.  He posted all of his research in the studio for everyone to look at and explore.  We've had several productive meetings, and are communicating quite well for people who just met.  Although I have to say Fiddler on the Roof is not exactly the open heart surgery of costume design.  You screw this one up and you might as well choose a new career path.  I'm able to hand over a lot of the collageing and altering to my assistants and they are doing a great job.  

My big project for Fiddler is The Puppet.  When an elderly widower is matched to marry the soft-hearted Male lead's oldest daughter, the widower's dead wife rises from the grave to scare away the bride-to-be (well mostly the bride-to-be's mother).  Normally, this character is done with a singer carried on the shoulders of a man and an extra long dress covering both bodies.  Instead, we are using a puppet I have designed.  I've never made a puppet before.  And I am getting help from a few people in carpentry and scene art who have.  

Other than that, I'm exhausted.  I haven't felt this exhausted since I was in college.  I know challenges are good, but sometimes I wonder if all these projects are actually more deteriorating than strengthening.  I haven't been out for a run in over a week.  I at more meals at Dunkin Donuts and Burger King in the past couple weeks than I care to admit.  And still I love it.  I wish I could be a little more controlled and realistic sometimes, but the fact that it always gets done keeps me going.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Souley,

Great blog, lady. Julie and I loved reading your comments on the left. And we would love to see a picture of the puppet when you get a chance. You are truly an inspiring person!

Love,
Dave and Julie.

Herron Clothier said...

smoule, can you post some more pictures of the shows and your creations?? we want to see some visuals over here in Chicago