Friday, August 8, 2008





It's been a couple weeks since I posted, and as they say, "No news is good news."  The new director is wonderful.  Fiddler on the Roof went up without too many glitches.  
He was respectful and interested in my ideas and I even made a giant puppet fruma sarah, painted by our very talented scenic artist.  (Pictures to come 
soon.)  My family arrived today.  What a feeling of support and comfort to have them here after
 driving seven or so hours.  (My dad insisted on taking the scenic route.)  They are going to see Fiddler tomorrow.  




I get extra special nervous when they are around as I know they will be judging me and accepting me in a certain way that no one else could.  




Me, I'm exhausted, creatively, emotionally, physically.  This summer has taken a lot out of me.  The blessing and curse is that I have solid work lined up until December 26 (my birthday of all days).  Yesterday I made business cards with my favorite sketch on it-The Gnat from The Cunning Little Vixen.  I designed the opera for a class in college and whenever anyone asks what show I would most like to design, I say that one, because it was one of the most creative pieces I've ever done.
I've also started to design Baby, a musical by David Shire which premiered on Broadway in 1982 about three very different couples all undertaking pregnancy at the same time.  All summer long, everyone has been saying "Oh yeah, Baby," as if to imply, "We'll get to that when it comes.  The show requires about twelve performers, which is half of the smallest show yet, with six principals.  It sounds easy, but when the show is dependent on costumes to elapse nine months, a costume change is required almost every scene, so really it's just another giant musical
This in mind, I have found myself particularly interested in Baby because of its period.  Yes, nineteen eighties are now "period," and I have discovered that most of our costume "stock" is from the nineteen eighties.  And what a proponent of the eighties I am.  For research, I have been looking at The Brat Pack, The Cosby Show, Nine to Five, Family Ties, and all the NON-REALITY TV I grew up on.  How refreshing:) 

I finally have some quality pictures from Cats and Cabaret and have posted them.  
With less than two weeks left here, I am starting to feel like I will miss the people, miss the rain, miss the itty bitty theater, the togetherness, the music, and even the stress.  But all good things come to an end and a rest is due.




No comments: