Wednesday, June 4, 2008

T minus 12 days and counting



It's a week and a half before I report to my summer costuming post.  Yes, dare I say, I'm off to be part of those two dirty words summer stock!  Every costume designer abhors it, yet they all do it.  

"New Hampshire?" my friend in Chicago says, "Is that in Vermont?"  

"Oh you're doing summer stock, like Judy Garland?" my dancer friend asks, who obviously has never had to do summer stock.

"Yes, I'm just like Judy Garland." I reply.

.........

"Well you seem well-qualified for this position except for what seems like limited experience with stock." the artistic director warns before she hires me.

Three months before I am to start, I sign a contract and receive one script.

A month and a half before I start I find out programming.  Cats, Cabaret, Fiddler on the Roof, and Baby.

One month before I start I find out who is directing.

So what if I have a limited experience in stock.  I've designed a dozen shows in the past year.  I've plenty of time, I arrive on June 16th, the first opening is on July 5, thats two weeks for each GIANT musical.  Slow panic sets in...






7 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the link. Looking forward to reading about your summer '08 adventure. Enjoy !
Louise

Kate said...

this blog makes me happy

k8

Michael Bishop said...

yay soule!

L. Junkin Lopez said...

glad to hear about what you're doing!

Jannine Sulllivan said...

Soule, I was never nutty enough to do "summer stock". Have fun. When your blog is silent I will know you're in hell week...weeks!! Thanks for including me in your blog. Jannine

Auntie said...

Soule, Thanks for including me, it's been quiet on the family front for me. Looking forward to hearing EVERYTHING about summer stock. Love, auntie

Melinda said...

my sweet, soule! i recognize that wig against the metal bin background...i am somewhere in the back, hoping for the chance to exchange longing glances...