Sunday, June 22, 2008

It Couldn't Please Me More






I've discovered today that Director has trouble summarizing and doesn't believe in using complete sentences.  That would take way too much time.  He speaks of minutia not concept.  For example: 

Below.  Sketches.  No color.  Women.  Men.  Sex.  Nudity.  Cross-dressing.  Unfinished.  First stab.  Not quite right.  1920s.



I worked for a few days on these sketches, but at times it seems as though Director would rather someone with a dictaphone and no creative aspirations.

The drawings took some scrutiny, but I did manage to salvage some of my creative ideas.  

Although this gig is constantly degrading, I am excited about designing Cabaret.  Casting was dictated to me today as a recorded.  And once the stock is cleaned and sorted, it is actually quite extensive.  I found some perfect straight-silhouette fur coats, wide-leg mens pants, derbies, and bobbed wigs.  I gave my assistants a patterning lesson the other day, so hopefully they can apply it to some of the designs.  Aside from a few key custom-builds, I'm anticipating extensive trim application and alterations.

3 comments:

Michael Bishop said...

keep it up soule!

Melinda said...

you are in a very special 'summer stock' universe, lady! have you ever seen the new 'Horton hears a who?' there is something to be learned from all of this--a Zen Buddhist diet of humility and patience. there is nothing negative to be said about a well-achieved pro who works, for a season, outside of her element in an environment that is well-beneath her wings...consider it your 'charity work' at marketplace india...
you are going outside your element, and with a meager incentive, that is much to be spoken for in personal development.;-)

emilliner said...

darling what a pleasure it is to hear your voice through your words!!!! i've missed you too much! keep your chin up... your designs are beautiful. love you!